Just 60 minutes from the Spanish Steps

Visit the most evocative places around the Terrazza su Farfa

Castelnuovo di Farfa

An enchanting medieval village

Here nature is the absolute protagonist and provides the backdrop to the splendid and original medieval architecture that distinguishes the houses, churches and palaces of the historic center. We are in Castelnuovo di Farfa, a village characterized by genuine beauty, in the province of Rieti. Splendid woods, medieval buildings, restaurants and farmhouses where you can taste typical dishes and exceptional olive oil make this place, uncontaminated and evocative, one of the most beautiful areas of Sabina to discover. Exploring the village and its streets, characterized by medieval architecture, will give you the impression of being in a place where time has stopped. In addition to the museum, palace and church, it is worth discovering the streets and alleys and listening to the stories of the locals.


Farfa Abbey

Read more about Farfa Abbey

In the heart of ancient Sabina, at the foot of Mount Acuziano, in a mystical atmosphere of silence throughout the country, stands the Abbey of Farfa. Approaching the Abbey, surrounded by fascinating green nature, you can feel the fresh morning air warmed by a bright sun.
Farfa Abbey is a very fascinating place, full of tranquility and simplicity, simple like the Benedictine monks who live in its profound spiritual atmosphere. Their ordinary life is dedicated to God and the Holy Virgin Mary.
In 1928 the Abbey was declared a national monument for its architectural and artistic beauty. With its thousand-year history, through periods of splendor and decadence, destructions and rebirths, the Abbey has remained a cultural and spiritual center thanks to the founders S. Lorenzo Siro (San Lorenzo Siro) and S. Tommaso da Moriana (S. Tommaso da Moriana) and Blessed Placido Riccardi and Ildefonso Schuster.
Several kings, emperors and popes (the last was Pope John Paul II, 19 May 1993) have visited the Abbey over the centuries.
Today, thousands of visitors admire the cultural and artistic heritage, spending time or even days in this peaceful place to rest their mind and soul. Refreshments and accommodation are provided.
Walking through the park and gardens you can also admire the small and characteristic village of Farfa, property of the “Filippo Cremonesi” foundation, which includes pretty houses and shops managed by skilled artisans.

Sabina Oil Museum

Read more about Sabina Oil Museum

The Sabina Oil Museum is dedicated to the Sabina oil which the doctor Galen (2nd century AD) defined as the best in the ancient world. The nearby Abbey of Farfa was one of the few medieval European centers in which ancient olive growing techniques were preserved and then transmitted. The museum is located in Palazzo Perelli, a 16th century building that has been extensively tampered with and recently restored, but also extends to the historic center and the landscape. The itinerary begins with a section dedicated to the myth of oil, celebrated by the sculptures of contemporary masters Alik Cavaliere, Gianandrea Gazzola, Maria Lai and Hidetoshi Nagasawa. The visit continues with documentation on the botany of the Sabine olive tree and the tradition of olive growing, then with the memory room, where the world of oil is told through the voices and images of the farmers of Calstelnuovo. With a pedestrian path surrounded by greenery you reach the early medieval site of San Donato where, near the restored church, the “Garden of the olive trees of the world” hosts the different species cultivated in the Mediterranean basin and with them, symbolically, the peoples who share the culture of olive oil in history and in the present. It is part of the territorial museum system of the Middle Tiber Valley.

Parish Church of S. Nicola di Bari

Read more about Parish Church of S. Nicola di Bari

The parish church was built in the second half of the 18th century on a previous chapel that was destroyed. Prince Lante, then abbot general director of Farfa, entrusted the project to the architect. Virginio Bracci who gave the new building the typical late Baroque imprint of a Roman environment, which can still be appreciated inside.
The church, with a single nave, has an elliptical plan with a large presbytery and 6 side chapels. Above the entrance door is the choir with the ancient organ then restored in 1939 by the Pacific Inzoli e Figli company from Parma.
In 1915 the structure, already in a precarious state of conservation, suffered considerable damage following an earthquake and the inexorable degradation that followed culminated in the closure of the church, to protect public safety (1928).
The church, as it appears today, I would say: is the result of the architectural restoration works carried out from 1937 to 1939 based on the architect’s design. Filippo Sneider of Rome, whose technical and artistic direction was entrusted to Comm. Angelo Salustri Galli supported by his wife, Donna Linda dei Marchesi Theodoli.
The authors of the new decorative and pictorial systems were the artist Alberto Albani, with his son Luigi, to whom the paintings of the coffers of the barrel vault, the coverings of the large windows and the marmorino of the walls are attributed; while the paintings of the central mirror of the vault and of the lunettes of the apse are the work of the artist Ettore Ballerini, including the figuration of the dome of the Virgin with Child and of the clients S. Nicola di Bari and S. Donato Vescovo, the one on the vault of the presbytery of the Eternal Father and of the Holy Spirit and, in the lunettes of the apse, the Redeemer in glory among the Angels.
Finally, the stucco work was carried out by the Giovanni Sabatini and sons company; the marble floor from the Biggi company, the Venetian grit and the mosaic coat of arms of the noble Salustri Galli family from the Fattinnanzi company.

Salustri Galli Palace

Read more about Salustri Galli Palace

Palazzo Salustri-Galli belongs to the family of the same name which for several centuries administered the lands owned by the Benedictine abbey of Farfa, between the Farfa stream, the Fabaris of Ovid and the small Riana.
It represents the key element between the city and the landscape, between the oil culture and the cultivation of the olive tree, which characterizes the entire Mediterranean. The building is made up of several nuclei, probably built starting from the sixteenth century, but the most significant intervention dates back to the mid-eighteenth century. Furthermore, in those years, the interiors were decorated with frescoes of great artistic value. Among the numerous decorations, in addition to views of the family palaces, there are also elegant portraits of aristocrats, swamp carriages, commoners and passers-by portrayed with lively naturalness; in the upper doors, certainly worth admiring are the so-called “capricci”, a set of architectural or natural elements not present in reality, composed in a completely imaginary way. The Italian gardens inside the property are also beautiful.

Former Church of San Donato

Read more about Former Church of San Donato

The church of San Donato, which can now be visited as a station of the Sabina Oil Museum, is surrounded by greenery, along the naturalistic itinerary that leads to the Farfa river.
The possession of Casale San Donato is attested in the registers of the Abbey of Farfa since 768, and in 817 there is also the presence of a church. In 1046 the site hosted a castellum or one of the original settlements then abandoned to create the medieval village of Castelnuovo di Farfa.
The archaeological site of San Donato was the subject of excavations in the 1990s by the University of Sheffield (UK) as it represents one of the very few physical testimonies of the transition between the Roman agricultural world and the medieval one.
The church, used for worship at least until the 16th century, was then abandoned and its ruins were finally incorporated into an agricultural building in the second half of the last century.
At the end of the 90s the complex was acquired as municipal heritage and the church was restored by restoring the original volume on the basis of the planimetric evidence that emerged from the excavations, and therefore intended to host a museum visit station: you can listen to a contemporary song , with the Latin words of the chrysmal hymn for Holy Thursday of Sant’Efrem Siro (4th century).

Church of the Madonna degli Angeli

Read more about

The church was originally located just outside the town of Castelnuovo di Farfa and was built in the jubilee year 1600 at the behest of the population, as thanks to the Virgin Mary for having protected the inhabitants from the terrible plague that had struck the neighboring towns.
Our Lady of Angels is still celebrated every year on the first Sunday of August.
The building, built with local materials, had, like today, a simple and elegant plastered façade; the small bell tower was subsequently added in 1698.
The plan is central and circular in shape, on it there are four chapels and a small apse.
The church, which collapsed in 1933, was completely rebuilt at the expense of Mr Angelo Salustri Galli, of the illustrious Castelnuovo family to whom the Italian gardens and the building in front also belong.

Events in Sabina

ArtePiano 2024

14-21 July – Castelnuovo di Farfa

Read more about ArtePiano

On Saturday evening 22 July, the ArtePiano International Festival concluded after a spectacular and rewarding week of piano masterclasses, performances and an international piano competition.

From July 14th onwards, students, teachers, artists, volunteers, festivalgoers, travelers and music lovers arrived in medieval Castelnuovo di Farfa with its 980 inhabitants to experience a week of musical celebrations. They come from countries such as Taiwan, United States, Canada, South Africa, Spain, Georgia, Turkey, China, Qatar, United Kingdom, Italy, Ireland, Germany, Japan, Bulgaria, Russia and Serbia, all who contributed to an unforgettable week that reinvigorated the senses.

Our students had the opportunity to work with all 6 faculty teachers, each of whom focused on different aspects of piano playing. Daily seminars, lectures and performances were scheduled at the end of the day before the evening concerts began. The teaching staff of the festival, made up of 6 teachers and concert pianists, opened the week with a performance of 2 to 12 hands in the beautiful Church of San Nicola di Bari, located in the heart of the historic center of Castelnuovo di Farfa, and which served as the main performance. space for all events. Fellow pianists are Yuki Negishi, Roberto Russo, Mark Nixon, Liezl-Marét Jacobs and Pavle Krstic. Audiences witnessed world-class performances by South African soprano Erica Eloff, French-Canadian clarinetist Myriam Carrier, Italian piano duo Giorgia Tomassi and Carlo Maria Griguoli, British jazz pianist Phil Merriman, last year’s competition winner, the seventeen-year-old Ruochong Steven Cui, the local choir and ensemble of Castelnuovo, homage to the composer Domenico Bartolucci, and the final of the 3rd International ArtePiano Competition, won by the Georgian pianist Irakli Gogiberidze.

A huge thank you to the mayor of Castelnuovo di Farfa, Luca Zonetti, to the Varrone Foundation, as well as to our private sponsors who made it possible for us to host ArtePiano again this summer. Their support is invaluable. Thanks to all our friends, family, volunteers, local support and everyone else who offered their help to make the week a success.

The dates of next year’s ArtePiano festival are already set! From 14 to 21 July 2024 we will be back in Castelnuovo di Farfa. So keep us in mind when planning your summer. It’s worth it


Rassegna Cinema Italiano

Date TBC – Poggio Mirteto

Read more about Rassegna Cinema Italiano

In Poggio Mirteto, like every year in the summer, the Rassegna Grande Cinema Italiano will take place, a cultural event whose aim is to promote Italian cinema.

The Parco San Paolo location will be transformed into an open-air cinema in which the 14 most successful Italian films of the last film season will be screened.

The artistic direction of the event is entrusted to Stefano Della Casa and Claudio De Pasqualis.

The Pro Loco of Poggio Mirteto has set up a food stand for every evening.

Fara Music

Date TBC – Fara Sabina

Read more about Farfa Music

The Fara Music Association founded in 2007 with headquarters in Fara in Sabina, is the creator and organizer of the Fara Music Festival.

Considered one of the most active Jazz Festivals on the national scene, Fara Music reaches its sixteenth edition in 2022 with over 250 concerts behind it since 2007 with some of the greatest musicians at national and international level including: John Scofield, Yellow Jackets, Tuck & Patti, Roy Hargrove, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Lionel Loueke, Sarah Jane Morris, Enrico Pieranunzi, Enrico Rava, Danilo Rea, Billy Hart, Jonathan Kreisberg, Francesco Cafiso, Chihiro Yamanaka, Orlando Le Fleming, Antonella Ruggero, Will Vinson , Tosca, Lingomania, Aaron Parks, Gilad Hekselman, Roberta Gambarini, Chiara Civello, Max Ionata, Mike Moreno, Kendrick Scott, Aaron Goldberg, Stochelo Rosenberg, Rick Margitza, Gregory Hutchinson, Kevin Hays, Rita Marcotulli, Luca Aquino, Reuben Rogers, Roberto Gatto, Fabrizio Bosso, Maurizio Giammarco, Rosario Giuliani, Maria Pia De Vito, George Garzone, Fabio Zeppetella, Gabriele Mirabassi, Dario Deidda…

In the surroundings of Castelnuovo di Farfa


The Eternal City”

Read more about Rome

Rome was called the “Eternal City” by the ancient Romans because they believed that no matter what happened in the rest of the world, the city of Rome would remain standing forever. Exploring the city center on foot surrounded by glorious monuments and colossal remains takes you back in time to the “glory that was Rome”. With its unparalleled history, Rome is the third most visited city in Europe and the fourteenth in the world. It attracts visitors from all over the world eager to discover the city’s impressive monuments and archaeological sites; not to mention its renowned cuisine and lively atmosphere.

While exploring the Colosseum, visitors will easily imagine how gladiators fought for their lives in the arena, cheered by the crowds. In the Circus Maximus, travelers will imagine chariots crashing into each other to be first in the race, and in the Roman Forum they will visualize what Roman public life was like.

Civita di Bagnoregio

Read more about Civita di Bagnoregio

And she remained like that for a moment, happy and thoughtful, against that flashing background of white writing and fearful abysses, as if the beauty of a woman’s face that descends into a man’s heart was truly one of the most difficult things to die in this world. short, fleeting life. Visiting Bagnoregio is certainly one of the most exciting experiences you can have in Tuscia. The beauty of its Civita, known as “the dying city”, makes this small town in the Viterbo area a popular destination for national and international tourism. Every year, more than 700,000 people from all over the world come here to see an ancient beauty up close, which defies time and the erosion of the tuff spur on which it is positioned. All around the Valle dei Calanchi, a wonderful spectacle born from the wind and rain.

Civita is increasingly a very popular place for lovers, who walk together on the bridge and arrive in the town to exchange promises of eternal love. We are in the land of Saint Bonaventure, father of the Church and central figure in the Middle Ages. Franciscan land, therefore. Like Saint Bonaventure he was the author of the biography on the life of the Saint of Assisi, the Legenda Maior.

The country is experiencing a great phase of growth, essentially linked to tourism development. Tourism development that is driving all the induced hospitality and well-being of the tourist. Walking through the town, with its Renaissance appearance, is the best way to experience the most authentic climate of the Italian province. You can decide to walk along Corso Mazzini, where the characteristic shops came to life, and thus go down to the Belvedere or give yourself a little more time to go down the alleys in search of breathtaking views. The Belvedere offers a privileged view of Civita di Bagnoregio. From here you can take the best photographs home. Continuing, just go down a few dozen steps and you are in Mercatello. From here you go up the bridge that takes you straight into the heart of the pearl of the Calanques. An Etruscan village, with more than 2 thousand years of history behind it. Several collapses, recorded over the centuries, have caused churches and beautiful structures to sink into the valley. Unfortunately, it has been lost forever. But it is perhaps this sense of precariousness, of fragility, that makes this place even more evocative. You enter from Porta Santa Maria, where for centuries they have guarded lions with a human head between their paws.

Visitors, crossing the corridor after the door, will be able to immerse themselves in a peaceful place, out of time and out of the world. In recent years, various locations have made the excursion more pleasant and it will not be difficult to notice the presence of beautiful cats. The increasingly famous and photographed “Civita cats”.

The center of the town is Piazza San Donato, in ancient times it was the forum and today it is called “the square”. Dominating the facade is the façade of the Cathedral of San Donato, cathedral until 1699.

Before leaving, going down towards the center of Bagnoregio, an important stop is the Duomo (in Piazza Cavour) which houses the Santo Braccio. A relic of Saint Bonaventure is kept inside a splendid reliquary made by French goldsmiths.

Villa d’Este

Read more about Villa d’Este

Villa d’Este, a masterpiece of the Italian Garden, is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. With its impressive concentration of fountains, nymphs, caves, water features and music, it constitutes a much copied model for European gardens in mannerist and baroque style.

The garden is generally considered within the broader – and overall extraordinary – context of Tivoli itself: its landscape, art and history which includes the important ruins of ancient villas such as Hadrian’s Villa, as well as an area full of caves and waterfalls showing the never-ending battle between water and stone. The imposing buildings and the series of terraces above the terraces are reminiscent of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the wonders of the ancient world. The addition of water, including an aqueduct that tunnels beneath the city, evokes the engineering prowess of the Romans themselves.

Cardinal Ippolito II d’Este, after the disappointment of a failed candidacy for the papacy, brought the splendor of the courts of Ferrara, Rome and Fontainebleau back to life here and brought the magnificence of Villa Adriana back to life. Governor of Tivoli from 1550, he immediately entertained the idea of creating a garden on the hanging cliffs of the “Gaudente Valley”, but it was only after 1560 that his architectural and iconographic program became clear, from an idea of the painter-architect-archaeologist Pirro Ligorio and created by the court architect Alberto Galvani.

The rooms of the Palace were decorated under the tutelage of the protagonists of late Roman mannerism, such as Livio Agresti, Federico Zuccari, Durante Alberti, Girolamo Muziano, Cesare Nebbia and Antonio Tempesta. The work was almost finished at the time of the cardinal’s death (1572).

From 1605 Cardinal Alessandro d’Este started a new program of interventions not only for the restoration and repair of the vegetation and the aqueduct, but also to create a new series of innovations in the layout of the garden and the decorations of the fountains .

Other works were carried out from 1660 to 70; he was a figure no less than Gianlorenzo Bernini.

In the 18th century the lack of maintenance led to the deterioration of the complex, aggravated by the transfer of ownership to the House of Habsburg. The garden was slowly abandoned, the hydraulic works – no longer used – fell into ruin and the collection of ancient statues – expanded under Cardinal Ippolito, was dismantled and dispersed.

This state of degradation continued uninterruptedly until the mid-19th century, when Gustav Adolf von Hohenlohe, who obtained the villa from the Dukes of Modena in emphyteusis in 1851, started a series of works to bring the complex back from its state of ruin. Between 1867 and 1882 the Villa once again became a cultural reference point, with the Cardinal often hosting the musician Franz Liszt (1811 – 1886), who composed Giochi d’acqua a Villa d’Este for piano while he was a guest here , and that in 1879 he held one of his last concerts.

At the outbreak of the First World War the villa became the property of the Italian state and in the 1920s it was restored and opened to the public. Another radical restoration was carried out immediately after the Second World War to repair the damage caused by the bombings of 1944. Due to particularly unfavorable environmental conditions, the restorations have continued practically uninterrupted over the last twenty years (among these, the recent cleaning of the organ fountain and also the “birdsong”.)

Lago del Turano

Read more about Lago del Turano

Il Lago del Turano è uno splendido specchio d’acqua di origine artificiale che si estende nel cuore dei Monti Cicolano, un grande gruppo montuoso in provincia di Rieti. Il lago è stato creato nel 1939 in seguito allo sbarramento del fiume Turano. L’opera sarebbe servita sia per la produzione di energia idroelettrica sia per evitare eventuali allagamenti della vicina pianura reatina. Lungo circa 10 km, è alto 536 metri e per completare il periplo delle sue coste frastagliate bisogna percorrere circa 36 km. Caratteristica del Lago del Turano, infatti, è che le sue sponde sono continuamente interrotte da insenature, promontori e piccole spiagge . Possiamo quindi immaginare quale spettacolo possa offrire al visitatore che percorre la strada circumlacuale dalla quale può ammirare il lago da ogni angolazione e godere di suggestivi panorami verso le montagne verdeggianti circostanti. Durante il giro intorno al Lago del Turano possiamo ammirare un paesaggio costellato di piccoli paesi di montagna che si affacciano sulle sue sponde. I più noti tra questi sono Colle di Tora e Castel di Tora, entrambi ricchi di testimonianze storiche e culturali di notevole interesse. Inoltre questi paesi sono inseriti in un ambiente praticamente intatto dove si possono ammirare angoli di natura a volte ancora selvaggi. Una fitta rete di sentieri permette di collegare le sponde del lago ai centri abitati fino a raggiungere le vette più alte che circondano questo suggestivo bacino montano.

Sul versante nord-orientale del lago si trova anche la Riserva Naturale del Monte Navegna e del Monte Cervia che, seppur di piccole dimensioni, protegge un’area di grande valore naturalistico ed ecologico, dove montagne, dolci colline, profondi e selvaggi canyon si alternano, che creano un mosaico di microambienti davvero unici e affascinanti.

Di particolare importanza naturalistica segnaliamo il Fosso dell’Obito, una delle gole più spettacolari che il selvaggio Lazio può offrire a turisti ed escursionisti. Chi vuole visitare il Lago del Turano troverà anche itinerari ricchi di storia e arte offerti dal caratteristico borgo di Castel di Tora, situato su una collina a picco sul lago.

Il vostro viaggio si arricchirà ancora di più, unendo la visita del borgo alla Rocca di Antuni, a pochi chilometri dal centro storico di Castel di Tora. Grazie alla sua bellezza e alla sua posizione invidiabile è diventata, negli ultimi anni, una delle mete turistiche più apprezzate della regione Lazio.

Molte sorprese, quindi, attendono il turista durante la visita al Lago del Turano. Una visita caratterizzata da paesaggi solenni e rilassanti, arricchiti da veri e propri tesori storici. Tutto questo, inebriato dai sapori della cucina tradizionale e dalla cultura enogastronomica locale e regionale

We will respond to any questions or information in less than 24 hours


Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Call us directly

+39 379 256 3609

Contact us via email